August 27th, 2012 – Gaslamp Games, Inc., independent game developers and makers of the critically acclaimed
Dungeons of Dredmor, are pleased to announce their new title, Clockwork Empires, for the Windows, OS X, and Linux platforms.
The Clockwork Empire is expanding! Brave people, seeking glory and wealth, are setting forth for uncharted lands in search of fame and fortune. This is a new age of Science – fearless naturalists, clever tinkerers, and brilliant inventors hold sway over the imagination of the common folk, wielding voltaic energies and constructing chromed brass clockwork engines. It is an age of The Arts – poets lie expiring on every street corner, crying for Reform and more laudanum, while the Empire Times spews forth from the great presses of the Capitol, filled with stories of inspiring hubris and adventure from The Colonies. It is an age of Trade – the many arms of the Imperial Chartered Antipodean Trading Company lurch across the oceans like the limbs of a commodity-crazed octopus, dredging untapped markets for wealth and glory. It is an age of Politics – scheming agents of the Empire skulk through the slums and grottoes of the colonies, dodging anarchist schemes and cultists’ rituals, and fulfilling secretive missions on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen. Meanwhile, in the Capitol, favours are curried in the Houses of Parliament and the Panopticon between the artistocratic Lords and the rising classes of Industrial Barons.
But not all is well in the Empire. Strangers gather under lampposts and in bars, telling stories of Those That Live Beyond The Stars, operating in invisible geometries from another dimension. The Queen, some whisper, has been locked away at the behest of her own Prime Minister… but to what end? The Church of the Holy Cog prays for the salvation of the Empire, yet everybody fears the indescribable colors that trace lines through the darkest woods and beyond the reassuring glow of the gas-lamps. The fortunes of the Clockwork Empire are watched, silently, by unseen eye-clusters and malevolent entities trying to breach the walls of reality into this world.
Take on the role of a Junior Bureaucrat (Colonial Grade), sent forth to seek fame, promotions, and natural resources to feed the ever-hungry maw of industry and commerce. Build mighty colonies, fill them with magnificent factories and tortured machinery, and harness the power of steam and energies brought forth by determined, unregulated men and women of Science!
Glory is yours to seize; the world is yours to do with as you please. For fame and fortune, for Science, and for the Queen and the glory of the Clockwork Empires!
But wait, there’s more!
Herein, the good folk of Gaslamp Games present a small selection of their “penny dreadful” game development features, demonstrating wonders never-before seen in plebian entertainment:
- Dynamic, city-building, citizen-simulating action. Every imperial subject has a purpose and agenda of their own, and their interactions are rich, exciting, and often lethal!
- New “procedural extrusion” technology lets you design your colony the way you want! Buildings are procedurally generated and extruded directly from the aether to your specifications!
- Tame the uncharted continents by land, sea, and air! Set forth in mighty Zeppelins to do battle with Sky Pirates, or take to the seas in search of fortune and probably sea serpents!
- Create magnificent acts of plumbing, link together mighty gears, and build ominous Megaprojects!
- Tangle with the machinations of malevolent entities! Scry the legacy of the Invisible Geometers, fumigate the baleful moon-fungus of the Selenian Polyps, and cleanse the scuttling creepiness and poor personal and moral hygiene of your everyday, average cultist.
- Losing is still fun! When your colony fails miserably, earn medals, promotions, and titles as befits a true politician and scion of the Empire!
- Multi-player mode, with up to 4 players, lets you co-operate with your closest friends to build a glorious city… or fight a horrifying economic battle to total annihilation!
- Round-Robin mode lets you share your Clockwork Empires with friends! Take turns running a colony directly into the ground then argue for fun-filled hours about whose fault it was! (Like Monopoly but with more exploding Zeppelins!)
- Rendered in glorious GaslampVision! Thrill as the colours are brought to life by Gaslamp’s team of caffeine-addled artists labouring under the technical specifications of our elite programmers* to bring you a game that is rendered in Each of the Three Dimensions! New multi-core technology by Actual University Students lets you use every last ounce of power in your computer to run a thrilling and vivid simulation!
(* We’ll see about that, Nicholas. Soon. – David)
- Featuring the new Dynamic Soundtrack Orchestra – the Soundtrack that Adjusts to Your Gameplay! (Mr. M. Steele, conductor)
- No always-online DRM requirement, unlike certain other games we don’t want to mention. You know who you are and your mothers are very disappointed.
- Comes complete with the Gaslamp Games Quality of Excellence that you know and love, and if you don’t like something you can mod it yourself in the best tradition of Empire Craftsmanship!
For more information, Gaslamp Games invites you to subscribe to their Awful Circular, available at www.gaslampgames.com on the Inter-Net Tubes. For more exciting information about the latest Gaslamp Games endeavor, visit PC Gamer!
Cog Save the Queen! Huzzah and all that.
Pingback: Linux Gaming News » Blog Archive » Clockwork Empires: The Press Release
Pingback: Like Clockwork: Gaslamp Announces Clockwork Empires « Beubo
Pingback: Dungeons of Dredmor developer’s latest is Clockwork Empires | VG247
Pingback: Dungeons of Dredmor developer’s latest is Clockwork Empires | Gaming R.S.S.
The only thing this is missing is a BUY BUTTON.
GIVE IT TO MEEEEE
Well, dang! Might be the first strategy-y game I play in a long time.
Yes! Can’t wait! Will this work on low-powered machines (i.e. single-core netbooks), like Dredmor does?
Or Android! Please Dredmor and this on Android!
Pingback: Vapor, engranajes y sacrificios son el atractivo turístico de Clockwork Empires | zonaBLADE.com
Sounds great, hope it retains the great humor Dredmor has.
Ok, this really sounds good!!! And as a Lovecraft fan this sounds even better!!! Oh, and steampunk, EVEN BETTER!!!
Make it well and you have my money!!! 😀
Will the free beta test of the game?
This could turn out to be pretty awesome! Love the support for Linux and even Mac. Will be keeping an eye out for this one.
I cannot express the depths of my excitement.
It sounds a bit like Dwarf Fortress. Only with steampunk and lovecraft and the loving touch of Gaslamp.
When can we expect the buy button to appear? 😀
I like this one SO much already. And yes, I will get it, even maybe for my friends!!! 😛 I doubt we will have any information but will you continue adding content with DLC:s? If so, I will get ’em all :P.
THIS IS THE GAME OF MY DREAMS.
Just shut up and take my money already!
wow cant wait thx for linux support
cant wait to get it on my ubuntu
Will this be on Steam?
When can I expect to buy it?
:All my anticipations:
Two things after reading through PCGamer review and interview.
#1 Can you make a world that’s like Panem? I’m not saying I should be able to recreate the Hunger Games, but what about having a central aristocracy and being able to repress and exploit 12 outer Districts? Being able to sacrifice two children from each District yearly would be a plus, but not essential.
#2 You never mention any sort of release date. You should, so I know when to come back and give you my money.
Again. I throw money at the money and nothing happens.
WHEN can I play it?
the second “money” was supposed to mean “monitor”… -.-
What’s your timeline on this? Q3 2013?
this is pretty much THE game i’ve been waiting for.
if clockwork empires is as advertised in this article, you have my money. hell, i’d preorder it right now.
One request, make it hard as hell, or better yet add some uber mode for the masochist in all of us.
Losing IS fun!
All praise to the great ancestor god Toady One!
Pingback: GamestalkerJonesing for Indies: Clockwork Empires - Gamestalker
Sounds sweet. Where do I send my money/resume?
I’m going to join the zombie chorus here: “Money, take it, give game that eats time and brains!” 😀 Seriously this sounds so epic and the only disappointing thing is that for the moment I can only dream of Elder Gods and the like coming to wreck my colonies in fun and horrible ways.
Pingback: Dungeons of Dredmor devs announce new title – Clockwork Empires - GamesNEXT
I own this in the future when coincidentally I find myself happy and on the computer too often.
Pingback: Brass Goggles:Clockwork Empires – a Steampunk world simulator
Pingback: Clockwork Empires, a new game from Gaslamp Games | Gears Daily
Pingback: Game Override » Blog Archive » Ruling the world of Clockwork Empires
Pingback: Indie Links Round-Up: Birds’-Eye View | The Indie Game Magazine - Indie Game Reviews, Previews, News & Downloads
Pingback: Indie Links Round-Up: Birds’-Eye View | DIYGamer
Please put up a “buy now” button so I can mash it with childish retarded joy.
Cog bless us every one
Holy crap if this works right then this could be the best game EVER. <3
I am still to unlock the “Summon Buy Button” spell but it SHOULDN’T TAKE LONG
*Glares at Gaslamp devs*
Pingback: Clockwork Empires – a Steampunk world simulator | Steampunk
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m throwing my money on the screen but I still can’t play it… WHY?
Pingback: meenauh | Во что играть, если уже и играть-то не хочется
Pingback: Catching up with Clockwork Empires | Shoost
Any date on pre-orders? Looking forward to playing this!
What Edward said. I look forward to being the proud owner of such an innovative game!
I wanna, wanna, want it. As Edward asks, pre-orders? Beta tests?
I need this! Why are you doing this to me!? This is just intolerable cruelty. I’m going to sit in a corner and pout until you’ve finished, I hope you’re entirely happy now!
Well spring is here and no mention of a release date? I understand trying to keep the game under wraps so people can discover the game as intended but the lack of information gives the impression the game has died or is dying.
We’ve updated the front-page banner to direct viewers to the Clockwork Empires category (rather than just this one post) which shows the weekly-updated development blog posts thus alleviating concerns & questions about on-going development.
Finally the videogame I have been waiting a long time! Please keep up the good work!