EDIT: We totally forgot to mention that we’re PC Gamer’s Indie Game of the Year for 2011. Yeah. Oops. In celebration, we drew a wallpaper which they’re putting up at some point in the near future; we’ll host it over here as soon as they give us the go-ahead.
We have outgrown our offices, and are moving again! As previously briefly mentioned, the new offices have a spiral staircase and remind Daniel of the Ghostbusters (no pole though… yet). I interviewed for a job in this building eleven years ago, back when Black Box Games was still an independent studio and before they were purchased by EA. The thought of now renting an office, for Gaslamp, in the same building … is a little mindblowing.
I also have a giant mechanical clicking keyboard of doom now. It’s extremely noisy, and everybody else in the office hates it. I love it.
Now that things are a little more organized on the Odin front, and now that our days are no longer a giant sink-hole of meetings and job interviews, we’ve found some time to finish pushing that patch out the door. A beta should be floating through the IRC channel any day now; at that point, we’ll have a week of testing, and then we will push everything to Steam, Desura, and the Humble Bundle. The current changelog is below the cut, as well as a handful of Odin teasers.
- FIXED: Invisibility now works as it says on the tin.
- FIXED: Blackjack works again.
- FIXED: Added a flag to targetHitEffects that lets them apply before, or after, the target combat calculation.
- FIXED: “Playing for Both Teams” achievement now works.
- FIXED: bookshelf crashing bug w/bony wand recipes
- FIXED: Some timing exploits.
- FIXED: A number of load/save corruption issues.
- FIXED: Uberchests not opening after you load and save.
- FIXED: You can now load more than one mod on OS X.
- FIXED: The Mace of Windu now uses the correct art.
- FIXED: Item spawning on levels 11-15 now works correctly. Additionally, mods can now create items up to Level 20.
- FIXED: Installing all the skill mods will no longer overflow the main mod loader screen.
- FIXED: Area of effect related crashes.
- FIXED: manTemplateDB.xml now loads in a mod.
- FIXED: Crash when doubly polymorphed.
- FIXED: You can no longer eat your own belt by right-clicking it.
- FIXED: You can now start the game with pants.
- FIXED: Magic reflection now reflects missile spells.
- FIXED: Game now remembers which mods have been loaded.
- FIXED: Invisible Geometries may finally work as intended.
- MECHANICS: Changes to combat ordering. The new combat ordering is as follows:
- If you dodge, no damage.
- If you crit, and your opponent counters, no damage. If you crit and your opponent blocks, normal damage. Else, critical attack.
- If your opponent counters, counterattack!
- If your opponent blocks, 1/2 damage.
- Else, normal damage.
- At present, this only affects melee combat.
- UI: Ubercrafting now has filters and a grid mode.
- NEW CONTENT: some new rooms.
- NEW CONTENT: about a bajillion new, evil traps.
- UI: Autosaves now auto-save once every 5 minutes in addition to before going down (and up) stairs.
- Upgraded SDL to version 1.2.15, fixing the bad things that happen on OS X (and no doubt introducing new bad things.)
- Rewrote the entire audio engine. This is going to end well.
- Removed all of the SDL_Image code.
- New features for modders:
- Scale: the ability to scale damages/effects in spells by a primary and a secondary stat
- Randomized Resistance and Damages for Items
- Generic Item Classes for Sacrifices
- Removal of Buffs by Name
- Counter, Block, Dodge, and Critical Hit Triggers
- Booze and Food Consumption Triggers
- Monster Cast on Death Triggers.
- Taxa can now be applied to specific monster types, not just the species category.
- Monsters now have per-type item drops.
And here are your Odin teasers for the day:
Ohh, so Project Odin really will be a whole new project, and not DLC for Dredmor like we were guessing.
Exciting! Can’t wait to find out more.
For the generic items, can we set things to it like consumption, spells, or other things like that? And if so, can we have custom animations?
Oops, wrong thing XD
These are REALLY good news. I can’t wait to lay hands on new patched version, and I’m having trouble with my mod: should I leave it like it is? Should I try the new options?
Congratulations and thanks for the hard work!
Happy Valentines! I love you!
Excited for this patch.
…Am I really excited for bugfixes and minor mechanical tweaks? Wow, I think I actually am. That probably says something about this game.
A couple things I notice are missing, though…that bug with wandlore bonuses on items not working right? Is that getting fixed? Also, Solar Inscription’s description implies it’s supposed to cause paralysis, but it’s not working right. And there are still balance issues with Piracy, i.e. it’s seriously underpowered.
Also, the Plunder ability is messed up. It doesn’t actually do anything. And the xp bonuses from Vegan and Big Game Hunter should really scale with the dungeon level.
The animated character looks great.
If you dodge, no damage.
^ you probably meant “If your opponent dodges” here
If you crit, and your opponent counters, no damage. If you crit and your opponent blocks, normal damage. Else, critical attack.
If your opponent counters, counterattack!
If your opponent blocks, 1/2 damage.
I want more skins for DoD characters! ;]
Also GJ with the fixes i didn’t even know i can eat my belt xP
So no stack-splitting yet? Goddamn it, I’ve lost weapons on that!
I’m still waiting on Diggle Gods for Desura, though.
Yeah, this is a “shut up and take my money” moment for that DLC. It’s hard to believe it’s not on Desura yet…
The problem is simple – Desura does not support DLC in any way. That’s the same reason Steel-storm or Jamestown does not provide DLC there.
“FIXED: You can now start the game with pants.”
Yeah, it is a nuisance having to take them off every time when I play.
That bridge pic from Project Odin makes me suspect that Project Odin will be a tower defense game.
Instead of SimDiggle 4000, it’s going to be Digglecoaster Tycoon.
It’s not tower defense ; )
Hmm… some kind of RTS/Lemmings hybrid?
Holy cow, reading these patch notes gave me chills. I am particularly excited about the revamped combat order and this line:
New features for modders:
Booze and Food Consumption Triggers
Gonna be some Sick Mods!
Congratulations on moving to the new studio. The new 3D game looks fun, and while I would be a bit sad if it was just a Tower Defense, at this point I will buy and hype just about anything for gaslamp games. DoD earned every bit of the Indie game of the year title and the community is amazing. More people should play it.
It’s not Tower Defense.
Dungeon defence then, perhaps.
But honestly, no matter what it is supposed to be, it does look interesting.
Nice! I love Tower Defense games!
Please let the new sound library allow for randomly varied pitch and volume of enemy cries and attack effect noises! Please?
My game has lost the deadshot skill this same for everyone? Was it intentional? There’s still the achievement though.
Deadshot got removed a couple of patches ago, I’m afraid – around the same time that all the three-skill trees got upgraded to five skills. This is entirely intentional and hopefully balanced by the improvements to Archery and Thrown.
Ah, Yes thank you very much. Didn’t get a look at the change log.
I’m glad to see the bug fixes, but will there be fixes for the other three achievements that are broken currently? If you max out the Vegan or Piracy skilltrees you get the achievement for the opposite skill, and the Demonology tree gives no achievement at all. All other skill-tree related achievements seem to work properly.
What sort of specs will Odin require? I have an outdated video card (as in doesn’t show up on the nvidia website outdated), so I struggle to play alot of 3d games
Is the patch on roadmap? When is it going to be released?
Is the save game bug resolved with this patch? I’m wainting since a long time to resume my game… (why upgraded the game from 1.0.6, it doesn’t work since then…)
Also, when will this patch go into Desura?