EDIT: We totally forgot to mention that we’re PC Gamer’s Indie Game of the Year for 2011. Yeah. Oops. In celebration, we drew a wallpaper which they’re putting up at some point in the near future; we’ll host it over here as soon as they give us the go-ahead.
We have outgrown our offices, and are moving again! As previously briefly mentioned, the new offices have a spiral staircase and remind Daniel of the Ghostbusters (no pole though… yet). I interviewed for a job in this building eleven years ago, back when Black Box Games was still an independent studio and before they were purchased by EA. The thought of now renting an office, for Gaslamp, in the same building … is a little mindblowing.
I also have a giant mechanical clicking keyboard of doom now. It’s extremely noisy, and everybody else in the office hates it. I love it.
Now that things are a little more organized on the Odin front, and now that our days are no longer a giant sink-hole of meetings and job interviews, we’ve found some time to finish pushing that patch out the door. A beta should be floating through the IRC channel any day now; at that point, we’ll have a week of testing, and then we will push everything to Steam, Desura, and the Humble Bundle. The current changelog is below the cut, as well as a handful of Odin teasers.
- FIXED: Invisibility now works as it says on the tin.
- FIXED: Blackjack works again.
- FIXED: Added a flag to targetHitEffects that lets them apply before, or after, the target combat calculation.
- FIXED: “Playing for Both Teams” achievement now works.
- FIXED: bookshelf crashing bug w/bony wand recipes
- FIXED: Some timing exploits.
- FIXED: A number of load/save corruption issues.
- FIXED: Uberchests not opening after you load and save.
- FIXED: You can now load more than one mod on OS X.
- FIXED: The Mace of Windu now uses the correct art.
- FIXED: Item spawning on levels 11-15 now works correctly. Additionally, mods can now create items up to Level 20.
- FIXED: Installing all the skill mods will no longer overflow the main mod loader screen.
- FIXED: Area of effect related crashes.
- FIXED: manTemplateDB.xml now loads in a mod.
- FIXED: Crash when doubly polymorphed.
- FIXED: You can no longer eat your own belt by right-clicking it.
- FIXED: You can now start the game with pants.
- FIXED: Magic reflection now reflects missile spells.
- FIXED: Game now remembers which mods have been loaded.
- FIXED: Invisible Geometries may finally work as intended.
- MECHANICS: Changes to combat ordering. The new combat ordering is as follows:
- If you dodge, no damage.
- If you crit, and your opponent counters, no damage. If you crit and your opponent blocks, normal damage. Else, critical attack.
- If your opponent counters, counterattack!
- If your opponent blocks, 1/2 damage.
- Else, normal damage.
- At present, this only affects melee combat.
- UI: Ubercrafting now has filters and a grid mode.
- NEW CONTENT: some new rooms.
- NEW CONTENT: about a bajillion new, evil traps.
- UI: Autosaves now auto-save once every 5 minutes in addition to before going down (and up) stairs.
- Upgraded SDL to version 1.2.15, fixing the bad things that happen on OS X (and no doubt introducing new bad things.)
- Rewrote the entire audio engine. This is going to end well.
- Removed all of the SDL_Image code.
- New features for modders:
- Scale: the ability to scale damages/effects in spells by a primary and a secondary stat
- Randomized Resistance and Damages for Items
- Generic Item Classes for Sacrifices
- Removal of Buffs by Name
- Counter, Block, Dodge, and Critical Hit Triggers
- Booze and Food Consumption Triggers
- Monster Cast on Death Triggers.
- Taxa can now be applied to specific monster types, not just the species category.
- Monsters now have per-type item drops.
And here are your Odin teasers for the day: