(Or: The Beta Begins.) In which we explore –
This update will go live to every Clockwork Empires player via Steam! We’ve also prepared a lovely video to help set the tone:
(There’s a German version for our good Stahlmarkian friends, check it out here. We apologize for missing umlaute.)
We have also updated our Clockwork Empires: Development Progress report!
Don’t own the game? Clockwork Empires can be purchased on ClockworkEmpires.com via Humble or from Steam. Our top bureaucrats assure us that the stars are right and we must use the correct number so: Clockwork Empires is on sale via Steam for exactly 34% off on May 21st only. Not until great Quag’gorath awakens is it going to get better than this.
Want to hear about all sorts of updates via email plus receive silly images from development? Sign up for the newsletter here.
We are moving from Alpha 50 to Beta 51.
What does this mean for you?
It starts with us: this is a shift in development. We have essentially finished all of the backend code required to complete the game. We can now switch entirely to mechanics integration, content implementation, UI/UX improvement, optimization, and stability. This also means that the countdown to release can be counted in months. This is an exciting threshold for us!
(There is a downside: the changelogs are going to get even longer, ugh. Stay strong, team! We can do this.)
Major player-facing additions this month
- New Workshop order system: jobs are queued per work module (it’s super easy!)
- New Event Arc system to chain interesting events together to produce Interesting Times
- Colonists can now carry stacks of ingredients to workshop jobs that require lots of materials – much more efficient!
- Tons of subtle UI usability improvements to make your life easier
- Colonist Quality of Life system: good colonies produce happy, productive overseers
If you’re in a hurry, that should cover it. But if you find yourself with the inexplicable urge for more, you’re in luck, we’ve got the full changelog posted below — or the extra special annotated changelog in the Clockwork Empires Development Report.
Begin the full Beta 51 changelog!