One of the major reasons behind announcing Clockwork Empires – as I think I mentioned before – is that we want to talk about what we’re doing. We want to keep you in the loop, and we want you to feel happy, informed, and involved. Accordingly, we’ll be posting lots of work in progress stuff. Again, this is a work in progress and will not (and does not, even!) represent what we’ll be shipping in a year and a half; this is a catalogue of the journey, but not the destination. However, it’s a pretty interesting journey.
Yesterday’s moment of excitement was discovering that all our characters were too small, and occupied one sixth of a “game tile” rather than one quarter of a tile. Queue massive re-export. Ah, well. These things happen in game development, and we deal with them and we move on; the key thing is to try to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.
So, let’s not talk about that. Let’s look at some screenshots. Because we’re vicious and evil, we’re not going to show you up-to-date screenshots; instead, we’re going to show you things from the cutting room floor. Way back when we started Clockwork Empires, we put a screenshot button in the game so that we could easily take pictures of our work for analysis, sharing with friends, putting up on the blog, whatever. Because we did this so early, we have an interesting collection of archival footage. So here’s some stuff for anybody interested in seeing how you pull an engine together.
To get you in the mood, here is a construction animation: