We’re still grinding away on the next patch; this is slightly complicated by the fact that I am moving on Sunday, so my apartment furniture consists of nothing but my desk, chair, and a never-ending sea of boxes. There are two practical sides to this, however. The first is that I will be in the same city as David, which can only increase The Madness. Gaslamp will have shared offices again! David may yet drink decent coffee, if I have anything to do with it! And so forth. The second consequence is that I was originally slated to begin a Ph.D in Computer Science as of September; this has now been pushed back to January 2012 so we can wrestle the madness a little bit more, and ensure that Gaslamp is well set up to work on the next thing. (Who knows if I make it there in January, either. At the rate things are going, all bets are off. Dredmor may have spelled the end of my academic career… or not. Who knows. It worked for Jeff Vogel…)
That said: our planned next revision hums along at a good pace. My working notes on the things that have actually been fixed are below: subtract these from the most recent list we put up to get an approximate idea of the amount of work is remaining. I’m considering splitting this into smaller patches, so we can get this out sooner rather than later; at the same time, I want to make sure that we … well, for a lack of a better term, that we get everybody’s pet issues. If you want to participate in our Exciting Dredmor Blooper Beta Bonus Round, send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (really) and tell us why you want to be one of our Exciting Patch Testers. Preference will be given to those who participated in the beta, to those who have been active in the community with assembling bug reports and tracking things, and to those with existing QA experience.
Okay. List of things we’ve done so far… is below.
– FIXED: Game not correctly processing some right clicking mouse clicks.
– FIXED: Lag due to blood splatters.
– FIXED: Dual wielding was not working, in particular the last skill.
– FIXED: Shield bearer skills were not correctly granting passive attributes.
– FIXED: A number of screwed up achievements.
– FIXED: Warrior health (and other things) were not being calculated correctly.
– FIXED: Item duplication bug when hitting “0”
– FIXED: incorrect item values for Cybertronic Amulet
– FIXED: incorrect item values for Dark Orb
– FIXED: being able to save and quit the game after your death
– FIXED: nightmare curse not actually putting monsters to sleep (or correctly triggering the DOT)
– FIXED: SHIFT-Click mode, when turned on, doesn’t correctly handle SHIFT-Clicking as regular clicking.
– FIXED: unliving walls do not become permanent blockers after saving and re-loading the game
– FIXED: stacked necronomiconomics penalties prevent the player from disabling his other buffs
– FIXED: right-clicking, off turn, causes left-clicking behaviours.
– FIXED: infinitely long Diggle health bars
– FIXED: monsters not dying when affected by buffs that reduce their HP (acid burn, etc.)
– FIXED: the Jingly Jangly Staff of Crystals now requires alchemy instead of smithing.
– FIXED: monsters who are stunned or asleep can no longer dodge, block, or counter-attack.
– FIXED: blank pedestal spawning in the Tomb of the Unknown Hero
– FIXED: some items becoming stackable after you put them in crafting tools.
– FIXED: potion stacking stops working after you save, reload, and put it in a craft tool.
– FIXED: vampirism causing haywire (or crit buffs); normal spellcasting NOT haywiring
– FIXED: bad text in wand, potions tutorials
– FIXED: KRONG text no longer mentions crafting skill
– FIXED: starting part of Monster Zoo music wasn’t playing
– FIXED: This Translation Is All Wrong! wasn’t clearing damage effects on weapons, causing massive damage stacks
– FIXED: a number of spells were not correctly applying blasting damage (Thor’s Fulminaric Bolt, for instance.)
– FIXED: lockpicks now auto-loot. (Always.)
– FIXED: Vampires are no longer told to “eat food to regain health.” (Now they must dreeenk blaht.)
– FIXED: double “bad weapon” penalties.
– FIXED: a bunch of monster inheritance issues.
– FIXED: crash on fullscreen with OS X 10.7
– NERF: Using a wand now disables invisibility effects.
– NERF: The Obvious Fireball has been Nerfed more obviously than the last un-obvious Nerf.
– NERF: This Translation Is All Wrong! now enacts a Terrible Price. Also, we got to make another Marcus Brody joke.
– Monsters have an expanded vocabulary.
– The Bony Wand is now not quite as awful.
– Lord Dredmor is now nastier.
– Added craftable thrown weapons.
– Added slightly more informative vending machine tooltips.
– Game renders all text using UTF-8 internally, for the Japanese Translation teams. (Ganbatte!)
– Upped Pyrokinesis damage.
– Made acid traps marginally less deadly.
– Added some magic resistance to a skill line. We don’t remember which one, you’ll have to figure it out.
– Fixed zorkmid scaling drop rate.
– Changed graveyard text so people no longer think their scores are negative.
– Weapon and armour stats have been given some more love.
– Elven Ingot Grinder is now affected by alchemy, not smithing or tinkering
– Alchemists now start with an Ingot Grinder, giving them more rubbish than any other class.
– Heavy armour now reduces piercing damage (and thus might actually be useful.)
– Heavy armour now also reduces your nimbleness.
– Added a new annoyance to Floor 10.