“When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.” — Ancient Diggle Proverb
Today, I caught up on my sleep and did all my laundry. Small things, but necessary, especially if you have ever seen what three weeks of laundry looks like. I also started taking stock of the bug pile. So since you’re all wondering, here are some Mild Announcements.
– We have hired Chris Triolo to do some art for us; in particular, he will be providing us with a female hero for Dredmor (Something that I have always wanted) and a handful of new monsters. Chris has promised to “rein in his salty language”, whatever that means. Welcome aboard, Chris – and just remember: when the new hideous demons start killing people, it’s Your Fault. Chris will be working on these as soon as he gets some of his other contract work wrapped up, and we look forward to letting you all play Dredmor as a woman with massive eyebrows.
– We have gotten Valve to set us up with an opt-in beta program; particularily active community users, and general masochists, will be invited to participate in our Advance Patch Testing Program. More on this as soon as we get it set up.
– I now have a working Mac development environment of my very own, which means Mac users will be getting the same level of love as their Windows brethren from now on. (Linux users, we love you too. I hope to have some good things to say about this soon enough.)
– I now have a version of Dredmor that can test three hundred save games for compatibility in five minutes. (Seriously? This is the best thing ever.)
I have also gone through the bug and balance pile and have started working out what is going to get into the next patch. The following is a draft list of what we are planning to address, collectively, for 1.0.4. If your favourite bug or balance issue isn’t here, don’t worry – we are thinking about it, and we will address That Lame Skill You Really Want To Love eventually. I don’t have an ETA for when we will get through this list, but I will let you know. Real life – plus Company Drinking and Cigars on Saturday – will delay the start of work on this, so realistically I will start working on the next patch on Monday. The biggest issue towards getting this done in a timely manner is that, as previously mentioned, I am moving on the first of August. This, traditionally, means chaos, but it also means David and I will be sharing an office space again… and this can only mean more madness that will please the Elder Gods.
Ye olde Patch 1.0.4 issue list is below:
Bugs, Actual Bugs:
- Fix the memory leak issue on level creation.
- Fix the issue were “empty” tiles reset certain important properties when writing a room template.
- Lag due to blood splatters.
- Fix the fact that warriors are not getting correct primary stats per warrior skill selected, and wizards are getting too many.
- Autofill consumption bug is still, apparently, showing up, and needs to be re-addressed.
- This Translation is All Wrong! needs to take damage into account.
- Fix the -nomusic option.
- Fix the crash on fullscreen mode with OS X 10.7. (This one? All Apple’s fault. You can look forward to any game that uses a fullscreen software rendered framebuffer breaking, silently and awfully.)
- WASD has issues in, or near, doorframes, especially if there are monsters in them.
- Transmutation skills do not correctly transmute entire stacks. (Gems in particular.)
- The auto-loot does not pick up lockpicks, and does not have an option for lockpicks.
- Dual wielding needs to be fixed, in particular the negative counter bug.
- Look into the reports of the shield bearer skills also doing something odd.
- Monsters getting 0 HP due to a debuff (acid bolt, nightmare curse, etc.), and suddenly turning into God Diggles with giant HP bars. (ALL GLORY TO THE ARCH DIGGLE.)
- Sleeping enemies should not be able to dodge, block, or counter.
- Potion stacking occasionally stops working.
- Crafting tools let you stack things that should not, normally, be stackable.
- Thrusty Achievement is not consistently triggering.
- Zoo achievement is not consistently triggering.
- Other achievement screwups.
- Zoos are not showing as cleaned up if you run away from them.
- Lutefisk Cube behaviour should be consistently with stacks and with individual units.
- After loading and saving, objects may no longer show up in the crafting toolkits you left them in.
- Issues with traps, Brax, and stores.
- Pets occasionally just act like idiots. In particular, they need better targeting, the ability to lose targets, and the ability to switch targets dynamically.
- Leaderboard scores need a CRC check on the datafiles before uploading.
- Pet double-summons.
- Move music loading into its own thread AND TEST IT THOROUGHLY. (Don’t put it in the patch if it’s too scary.)
- Haywire not triggering, except when it absolutely shouldn’t. (Vampirism, traps, everything but your spellcasting.)
- WASD should let you interact with: crates, fountains, Dredmor statues, doors, chests, evil chests, uber chests, etc. (Basically: anything you might normally click on if you’re next to it.)
- SHIFT-Click mode, when turned on, doesn’t correctly handle SHIFT-Clicking as regular clicking.
- Add a way to split stacks of items in the inventory and belt.
- Add pricing information to the quicksell.
- Add quicksell to the belt.
- Monsters should get HP bars when you are adjacent to them, not just with mouse over (for WASD players)
- Minimap size should be saved in config
- Window positions should be saved in config
- Delete confirmation when deleting a save game
- Minimap icons: uberchests, quest shrines, quest items, quest mobs, important mobs, Dredmor, user markables
- Mousewheel triggers things in the tutorial menu
- Equipment comparison tooltips for the equipment screen
- Vampires should not be told to “Eat Food To Regain Health.”
- Game speed should be saved.
- Game should render text using Unicode-8 internally, for the Japanese translation teams. (Especially since they showed me how to do it.)
- Third row of the inventory occasionally gets items stuck in it.
- Make lockpicking less tedious.
- Make sporecrafting less tedious.
- Add a way to force your player to kick down a door or a chest, rather than using a lockpick.
- Clicking on pets should just shove them aside, and not force you to kill your moustache golem by stabbing it with a sword to get it out of the way. (Really, how could you do that…)
Missing Sound Effects:
- Electroblobby attacks
- Chest opening
- Footsteps with WASD movement
- Some clicks and bangs in the menu system would be nice.
- Vampirism should not consistently haywire. (In fact, it shouldn’t hay wire at all.)
- Vampirism should be more useful for non-mages.
- Make lockpicks and spores have a *sell* cost of 0.
- This Translation is All Wrong!, in addition to having bugs, is too powerful. It needs to be reined in.
- Some of the new Smithing Crafts need to be addressed. (In particular, and as much as it is a mild anathema to Dredmor’s way of just dumping everything on you depending on its moods, we need leveled materials.)
- Necronomiconomics is too self-destructive.
- Ley Lines should be more fun.
- Craftable thrown weapons.
- Up the ammo recovery rate, again.
- Heavy Armours get piercing resistance.
- Nerf the obvious fireball, again. The last nerf was not sufficiently obvious.
- Witchys and Monstrous Masks are too nasty, and should spam the revival spell less.
- Lord Dredmor is *still* not sufficiently a badass (and should have stun resistance.)
- Acid bolt traps should be taken down a notch.
- Only one monster zoo per level, please.
- Named monsters should give you lots more XP.
- Zoos should have some artifacts in them.
- Deadshot is just kind of lame.
- Kleptoblobbies should steal less.
- Corruption should affect armour as well as weapons.
- Look, seriously, at every request for an auto-rest button and then try to come up with some way to use it that isn’t awful.
Ambiguous New Fun
- Sinks of Mutation
- Do something with the Footy Laser Beam Cannon
- Procs on Armour
- Make intelligent monsters able to open doors
- No Ticket! Remember Your Charlemagne!
- Diggle Vending Machine Repairman
- Extra Fun on Levels 4 and 8
- More Achievements
- More Uniques
- More Rooms on Level One and Two
- Engage the Insult Tables